Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The weather outside is frightful...so let's eat.


In my every family's food history, there have been meals that stand out as fantastic. They may be associated with holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Labor Day, and the occasional Graduation dinner. (Picture is from an early Thanksgiving, my cousin & I have been required to sit in the exact same spot every year since this picture was taken.)

But, the most meaningful meals from my family just so happen to come from ultra-cold days. And today, being the coldest day in D.C. in the past week, with the temperature feeling about 11 degrees Farenheit -- I was taken back to childhood days of comfort foods.

My personal favorite was a combination of my Grandma's twice-baked potatoes (oozing with cheddar cheese, bacon, and butter), my Dad's just perfectly seared fillet of steak, and my Mom's famously delicious carb-laden dinner rolls. Yes, my family loves their calories.

A recent poll taken amongst my roommates has shown that favorite comfort food dinners range from empanadas to fried hamsteaks dredged in butter and brown sugar.

On About.com, there's an article about comfort food where some favorites "take the cake": macaroni & cheese and french toast. Some surprises? Danish Puff Coffee Cake and Bean & Bacon Soup.

Needless to say, this cold weather is prompting all of us to pile on the comfort food. Good thing the gym is less than a block away.

Time for Top Chef on Bravo. I hope Leah goes home, she's a bit of a whiner and a cop-out.

More bites tomorrow.


photo credit: Me

1 comment:

  1. Good use of a photo and links. Try to think about other Web writing techniques to enhance your future story.

    ReplyDelete