Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fish, its what's for dinner.

Today, an odd craving overcame me. Fish.

photo: compfight.com


It being Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent season, and all... it seems fitting. But seeing as I have no religious affiliation, it was an odd craving.

I call them college-student-hunger-pains. Very similar to pregnant-woman-hunger-pains. Maybe subconsciously I know midterms are coming up so I should eat some "brain food" like my Dad always has called it.

That, or it is a devilishly clever marketing plan.

I was downloading grocery coupons (I know what you're thinking, and yes I am one of those people) I was accosted by tons of ads for "DOUBLE COUPONS: FISH FOR LENT!"

Well, I caved and bought two fillets of some gorgeous pink salmon for me and my roommate to delight in this evening.

I was raised on salmon and brie, a weird combination but a bite of heaven nonetheless. My grandpa cooks the salmon in a small hickory smoker on the back deck in a metal homemade smoker.

He then piles the crumbled, salty white fish on top of a healthy slice of gooey, buttery, all together perfectly creamy brie and club cracker.

The combination is the perfect amuse-bouche.

Now, my salmon dinner won't be any thing of this caliber...but there's still something to be said for a good piece of fish broiled to perfection with a bit of lemon zest.

I'm drooling



Photo: Papa J, in the flesh.
photo credit: terri_tu

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I know that guy. He does make a mean smoked salmon. Now I'm off to eat a lowly raisin bagel.

    ReplyDelete