Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Call it Education...

It was somewhere in between you gave me some sound advice but I wasn't listening."

So say the Modest Mouse lyrics, which remind me of my Grandma trying to teach me cooking skills as a kid. Alas, being the stubborn and unwilling to learn kid that I was I ignored all my Grandma's wisdom and decades of culinary skills and now I have stooped to learning from food shows.

Alas, in order to save you from the same mistakes that I have made I am here to tell you the top four educational cooking shows!

4. Take Home Chef -- Host Curtis Stone
Why? Because the Aussie hottie "picks up" women in the grocery store and convinces them to "take him home" and cook dinner for their significant other. Its educational because Stone takes the women through the grocery store to pick out quality goods and then demonstrates step-by-step how to prepare and cook a gourment meal. When? varies depending on day/time
Channel? TLC
Grade? B-


3. Good Eats -- Host Alton Brown
Why? If you can take the cheesey nature of the show, Alton Brown can really teach you a technique or two in preparing traditional dishes. Its like Bill Nye the Science Guy meets Home Economics.
When? Monday - Thursday 8pm/7c
Channel? Food Network
Grade? B+

2. Giada at Home -- Host Giada De Laurentiis
Why? Without fail, everyone loves Italian dishes. Giada shows quick and easy ways to make Italian meals ranging from pizza and ravioli to lasagna and swordfish penne. She gives ready pointers as well as mini Italian lessons.
When? new episodes Saturday 1pm and Mondays 4:30pm
Channel? Food Network
Grade? A-

1. Barefoot Contessa -- Host Ina Garten
Why? Her back to basics lessons give the audience hints to all things easy. Garten resides in the Hamptons so her cooking reflects the laid-back atmosphere.
When? new episodes Saturdays 1:30pm and Sundays at 1pm
Channel? Food Network
Grade? A

No comments:

Post a Comment